6 May 2013

diy body scrub

Hello everyone! The last month has been a whirlwind of studying and exams but now I am finally home with a few weeks before I begin my internship, so I am back to blogging here hopefully more often than I even was before!

I want to share a DIY body scrub recipe with you all that has changed my life. I am not usually one for DIY beauty products, but lately I've been trying to save a bit of money where I can, and I certainly don't need to be spending a ridiculous amount of money on body scrubs. So I looked up a few recipes, combined a couple of ingredients, and have made my own body scrub that has changed my face and my skin! The smoothness is unbeatable, and the ingredients are naturally beneficial. (I would add a picture, but honestly it looks a bit like vomit. Oops!)

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup of olive oil
  • 1/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 5 or so drops of vanilla extract
Mix all of these ingredients in a bowl with a spoon until it becomes a paste. It will smell a bit odd thanks to the olive oil (but that's the magic ingredient!).

For your face: Wet your face with lukewarm water, then scrub in small circles for about three minutes. Let the scrub sit for another two, then wash off with lukewarm water. Pat dry with a towel. If your skin feels a bit oily, that's because you've just scrubbed it with oil! Eventually the oil will sink in and really moisturize your skin.
For your legs: (I use this instead of shaving cream - its moisturizing effect is unbeatable!) After rinsing your legs, scrub with your fingertips in an upward direction. Rinse the scrub off and shave your legs. Use the scrub again, and then shave your legs again. (Twice? Yes, twice - the first time removes the hair, the second time removes the dead skin, which gives that super-smooth feeling.)

After using this scrub, my face feels incredibly hydrated (I definitely needed it after ten hours on an airplane), and my legs feel super smooth and luxurious. I plan on using this on my face 1-2 times a week and every time I shave in replacement of an expensive shaving cream. Can't beat the hydration and smoothness for summertime skin!

Next post: healthy snacks and meals!

1 comment: