27 Mar 2013

review: rimmel stay matte powder

Hello everyone! Sorry I am the worst blogger on the planet (alternatively: sorry school is sucking my soul out!). No time for explanations, I am here to review Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder! I recently left my Benefit powder on an airplane and I was so gutted about it. (That powder was amazing. I highly recommend it.) Right now I am trying to save my money for Ireland this summer so I needed a fairly priced powder, so obviously Tanya Burr's cult favorite Rimmel Stay Matte was the obvious choice.

Now I am a bit of a makeup snob simply because I really care about my skin and putting good quality products on it and have always been a bit wary of drugstore makeup just because I am afraid of breaking out. I also prefer loose powder to pressed powder because pressed powder doesn't seem as.. powdery? I am already sick of the word powder. However, the Benefit powder was pressed too and I think after using the Rimmel I am a converted pressed fan! I absolutely love this powder!




I picked up this powder in 001 Transparent (which is the shade that Tanya uses - I just trust her and also I'm white as fuck so.) and the shade is perfect on my skin! The powder itself feels incredibly light - I hardly feel like I'm even wearing anything over my foundation or alongside my blush/bronzer, and to be honest I definitely could feel my powder when I used the Benefit one as well as the loose Korres powder I was using before. Here's how it looks on my skin:


The shine on my jaw is completely reduced, and the light blush I was wearing this day was hardly affected by the application of the setting powder. I love how my skin looks like it's glowing! (Or maybe that's the lighting in my bathroom... let's just go with the first one.)

This pressed powder is easily applied with a fluffy powder brush (I just use a Sonia Kashuk brush from Target) and dust it all over my face to set my foundation, particularly on my chin, T-zone and jawline to get rid of excess oil. Setting powder is a pretty basic product, but I think in order to find one that works for you, you have to test a few out! My favorite things about this product are definitely: 

1) the low price - this was around $6 as opposed to $20 for the Benefit and $35 for Korres.. will never pay that much for a foundation again! 
2) the transparent color - this really is a colorless product though the packaging makes it look like it's taupe or light brown. It's clear!
3) how light it feels on my skin - it's winter, so my pores are overworking and my skin is more oily that usual, but this powder soaks it right up and I don't even feel a thing!

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the packaging. I know it's a drugstore product so it's not of the highest quality, but the plastic cover doesn't stay on too well and when I put it in my makeup bag and carry it around with me during the day, sometimes I'll open my bag up to find the cover has fallen off at some point. However for the price I paid and the quality of the product, I am super impressed and can see why someone like Tanya Burr who has the whole world of makeup at her hands would choose to show this pressed powder in her videos! It's super cheap, super effective and looks absolutely great all day long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment