4 Mar 2013

travel tips!

Hello everyone! This post has been a long time coming and I have debated whether to do it in blog form or video form, but I figured a blog post would be best so that you can have it handy when you need it instead of rewatching a video when you need to hear some travel advice!

I travel to Europe and back about four times a year and have done so for the last three years. Over this time period, I have flown mostly by myself (sometimes my dad joins me), which means I've had to learn how to handle big airports, short layovers, and jet lag all on my own. I have mastered the art of packing though I do still tend to overpack (I just like to be prepared!), and overall I've learned how to make long airplane journeys quite enjoyable. I hope these tips are helpful and if you have any specific questions, please never hesitate to ask!

SMART PACKING 

Packing is such a drag. I used to get so excited packing for trips, but that would wear off after about five minutes because I had no idea what to bring or how much I should bring. Here are a few tips to make your packing experience easier.

  • This might seem like a no brainer, but always check the ten day forecast of wherever you're headed. The weather is always subject to change, but you definitely want to be prepared going in.
  • Pack layers, no matter where you're going. For trips that are at least a week long, I always have two pairs of jeans and leggings, a small variety of sweaters (thin and thick sweaters as well as a cardigan or two), at least 6 tshirts/regular everyday tops, plenty of underwear and socks, and one or two nicer outfits if I go out with friends. I also pack one pair of black flats, two pairs of leather boots, and maybe my Converse if they'll fit. Also scarves! Scarves are a great way to warm up an outfit if it's a bit chilly. You can never go wrong with having scarf options. (Obviously summer packing is different and much lighter - dresses, shorts, sandals. Easy.)
  • It always helps to be prepared, but try not to overpack. This will only cause you problems when checking your luggage as overweight bags will cost you at least $25 depending on the airline, and it also makes it a hassle to choose what to wear and when you have to pack up to leave. If you're vacationing, you don't want to waste any precious time choosing an outfit or packing!
  • This will sound silly, but the best way to save room in your suitcase is to roll your clothes up like little burritos. Fold tops in half vertically, and then just roll from the top down! You'll thank me later.
  • Put all liquid things in plastic bags, even if you're putting them in your checked luggage. No one wants to open their suitcase to a spilled nail polish or a shattered perfume all over their clothes! Luggage does get shifted during a flight, so be cautious and careful.
WHAT TO BRING ON THE FLIGHT

You don't need everything in the world, just enough to keep you busy! This list is for long flights (8+ hrs) but feel free to add/delete anything to make it fit for you.
  • iPhone/iPod (I know this is a given... but just in case.)
  • Wallet/credit cards/extra cash/passport (duh.)
  • A water bottle (maybe it's just me, but airplane water grosses me out. You'll have to wait till you're through security to do this, but don't forget!)
  • Granola bars/any other snack you might like (I hate airplane food and try to eat as little of it as possible. You can bring packaged food through security, and any food you buy in the terminals is fair game to bring on the flight. Sometimes I bring Starbucks!)
  • Magazines or books (or both! I spend a lot of time on flights reading and it helps make me tired so I fall asleep easier.)
  • Contact solution/contact case/glasses (I always have this with me because I absolutely cannot sleep in my contacts and prefer to wear my glasses on a flight anyway.)
  • Headphones (you DON'T want to be without your own pair.)
  • Hair ties/bobby pins (airplanes are super dry. I promise your hair WILL get static-y. How do you even spell staticky? Is that right? Anyway, my hair becomes a mess and I almost always put it up.)
  • An extra pair of socks (airplane floors are cold!)
  • A scarf (again, cold.)
  • A pen (you never know when you may need one, and when you're traveling back into the US you will need one to fill out your border control slip.)
  • Makeup essentials (for me, this consists of mascara, an eyelash curler, hand lotion, chapstick/lip balm, and a vitamin c serum to moisturize my skin after the dry airplane air destroys it.)
  • Put all your liquids in a plastic ziploc bag and keep them there because you'll need to put them in a separate bin when you go through security.
HOW TO NAVIGATE THE AIRPORT/FIND YOUR GATE

Airports are huge and daunting and flights get cancelled and gates get changed! Be prepared and on time.
  • Give yourself plenty of time. The typical rule is that you need to be at the airport an hour before a domestic flight and two hours before an international flight. This is usually a good time frame for me. If you're flying for the first time by yourself, maybe add an extra half hour to be safe.
  • I am just this sort of person by nature, but I plan ahead. Before I flew alone for the first time I found all of my flight information online, wrote it down on a sheet of paper, and put it in my wallet. Usually you won't know your flight's gate until you check in and receive your boarding passes, but write it down once you have it. 
  • Airports are big. Don't be afraid to stop at the large maps that are everywhere or to ask someone for help. The LAST thing you want to be in an airport is lost, especially when you're pressed for time. Ask for help if you need it! Usually airports seem more daunting if you are already afraid of being late, so be prepared and find your gate before you have a meal or do a bit of shopping.
  • Once you are at your gate, find out what your boarding time is, and if you have extra time to go exploring, make sure you're back at least ten minutes before you're supposed to board.
HOW TO BATTLE SECURITY

Security is easier than you think. Don't complain about it - it's necessary. But it can be painless and quick if you know what to do.
  • Find the shortest line - this is usually the the one without old people or big families. Maybe that's profiling, but I don't care. It's true, they're the slowest! Find businesspeople and get in their line. They're well dressed, they know what they're doing, and they'll move fast.
  • If you're flying out of America, you always have to take your shoes off. Do it. Don't complain. (The reason I keep saying this is because NOTHING is more annoying than people who don't listen to airport security officers. They are trained and if they tell you to take your shoes off, there's a reason.)
  • Take off your jacket/sweater that may resemble a jacket, your belt and empty your pockets. Usually jewelry gets through okay (I never take my watch, rings or necklace off and it's never a problem.)
  • Take your laptop out of your bag and out of its case if you have one.
  • Put your liquids front and center where the officers can see them. They're super serious about liquids and it makes everything easier if they can see yours, then they won't ask you a million times if you have any.
  • Move as fast as possible, but don't forget anything!
  • Don't ask questions unless you are really unsure of something. Don't ask WHY you have to empty your pockets or WHY no one told you to put your liquids in a plastic bag. I'm telling you right now, so you DO know! Just do what the officers tell you. They're in charge and there for your safety.
GENERAL TIPS
  • Wear comfy clothes. My standard travel outfit is leggings, a big comfy sweater, a scarf, and tall leather boots I can get on and off easily.
  • Pack your carry on luggage the night before.
  • Get lots of sleep and eat a good breakfast.
  • Focus. If you're prepared, on time, and well packed, you have nothing to worry about. Focus on getting to your gate, having everything you need at hand, and being on time.
  • If you need help, ask. Airport staff is generally very helpful and they know exactly what you need.
  • RELAX! Unless you are lazy and unprepared you are going to be FINE! You WILL get on the flight if you pay attention to the announcements and you know where you need to be at what time. I find flying on my own to be very relaxing and enjoyable because I feel independent and great when I get shit done. Flying is no joke, and you have to be focused and attentive. You can do it! Don't be worried. Being stressed will only make it more difficult.
  • Have fun! Isn't that what everyone says at the end of a how-to post? I mean it. You're going somewhere probably very exciting! Don't be worried. Be excited and have a great time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment