4 Jan 2013

naked vs. naked 2

This post is very near and dear to my heart because if it were not for my beloved Naked palette I would know nothing about makeup and a very vital part of me would be missing! That sounded a lot better in my head. Hm. What I meant to say is that my interest in makeup has grown exponentially over the last year since I purchased the Naked palette on a very frivolous whim and I have fallen very in love with makeup since then. I received the Naked 2 palette for Christmas this year and I can't say that I like one better than the other, but I do want to compare them so that anyone who reads this can decide which they would rather have (or if you're like me, you can't resist and you need both!)

These palettes are especially good for me personally because 1) I am extremely conservative in both clothing and makeup. I hardly wear any bright colors or patterns ever and the neutrality of these palettes is exactly what I'm looking for when I apply makeup, and 2) my eyes are very, very blue, which is brought out even more by the colors in these palettes. I tend to avoid colored eyeshadow and I have found endless ways to bring out my blue eyes without feeling like I'm wearing too much makeup.

I'm not sure how important packaging is to everyone, but to me it's very important because I travel quite a lot! The original Naked palette has a magnetic lid and snaps together quite easily (clearly mine has been loved... a lot), while the Naked 2 actually snaps together with little.. snaps? I'm not sure what to call them, but yes well it snaps into place and for me personally is a bit harder to close. I understand the protection value in the harder case of the Naked 2, but I actually prefer the softer magnetic packaging on the original palette. I am very careful with my makeup and pack it very delicately in my suitcases, so I never have any problems with the magnetic top coming open or anything like that. It's a bit lighter and feels more... art-y? I'm not sure. Either way, the Naked 2 is much more protected than the Naked but for me there's no real reason for it. I guess it's to each their own!


Naked: As you can see here I have absolutely loved the shit out of this palette! The colors are all so vibrant and pigmented and as a beginner, I was just stunned and had no idea what to do with all the magical options. So I began watching tutorials and learned the basics of applying this palette and have found it to be quite versatile. I tend to use Sin most on my lids (as you can see I've hit pan there and am in desperate need of a new one!) with Toasted on my crease and/or outer corners, and Virgin is the best brow highlighter I've ever come across - it blends so well with any lid and crease shadows you choose. This palette is very glittery/shimmery, which is obvious seeing as only two of the shades are matte (Naked and Buck). I love shimmery eyeshadows, but I've found that Sidecar is especially glittery and I really only use it on special occasions. The combination of Gunmetal and Creep make for an excellent smokey eye and while I'm normally a bit too nervous to try it on myself, it has looked wonderful on a few of my friends when we go out. I tend to do my friends' makeup when we go to parties on the weekend, and we all have different colored eyes which makes for lots of fun for me! Smog, Darkhorse and Hustle in any combination look so beautiful on green eyes while a thorough application of a mix of Sidecar and Hustle on the outer corners with Virgin on the inner corners really brings out brown eyes. Overall this palette is an essential part of my makeup collection, and I already know I'm going to use it until it's absolutely gone! I'm thinking about buying another just in case. If you're a beginner to makeup, this palette is so easy to use and so versatile, you might just become as addicted as me!

Naked 2: I was so excited to get this for Christmas (because I picked it out myself.. shh!) and I basically have not put it down since the 25th of December. This palette has a more silvery/grey sort of theme as opposed to the original Naked which I tend to see as more brown themed. While I think the original Naked is great for beginners, this palette has a lot more obvious lid + crease combinations, which is what I really started off teaching myself as it's pretty essential! Anyway, the combinations are pretty obvious - I've loved pairing Bootycall and Chopper, Suspect and Snakebite, Verve and Pistol, and YDK and Busted. It annoys some people that they aren't in a specific order color-wise, but I liked how when I opened it I immediately knew what I wanted to do with it. I feel like it's a nice continuation of the Naked palette - more of what I love! I'm so excited to try this palette out on my friends whose eyes are different colors than mine to find what brings out greens and browns more as opposed to my blue eyes, which are brought out best by metallics like Half Baked and Verve.

So to finish up, I actually could not be forced to say which I like more. Both come with a brush (the original with a standard shadow brush, the 2 with a double ended brush - one side with a shadow brush, the other with a blending brush) and I prefer the Naked 2's brush much more! Two brushes in one - I am sold. I loved that the original Naked came with a sample of the Primer Potion because I think primer is SO essential for eyeshadow application and I couldn't live without it. I do love the lip gloss that came with Naked 2, but the primer is just so much more useful and beneficial to really utilizing the palette. I am more used to the original Naked, but the Naked 2 is just as lovely! I love the matte black shade in Naked 2 (Blackout) as opposed to the shimmery black in Naked (Creep), but I prefer Virgin in Naked to Foxy in Naked 2. So I think the two palettes balance each other out very well and I have absolutely no problem mixing the colors together, there are still lots of things I haven't tried! I know that some colors are quite similar (Snakebite and Smog, Toasted and YDK, Hustle and Busted) but actually in the application they're rather different and bring something new to your look. I wouldn't let that set you off buying both, because it's nice to have some colors that are similar when the rest are quite different!

I know this is very lengthy but when I read reviews of makeup I like them to be detailed and relevant to what I need to know, so I hope this has given you a bit of insight about the two palettes and that you choose which caters more to what you're looking for (like I said before, maybe it's both!) I hope to get around to showing my favorite looks using these palettes, and if you have any suggestions/questions, comments are always welcome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment