2 Jan 2013

Resolutions

Last year my resolutions were simple: to get in shape and to write one thing every single day that made me happy. I'm continuing with those same resolutions as they were very effective for me and while I'm still not in the shape I'd like to be, my body image issues have nearly disappeared and I am feeling confident and happy for the first time in a really long time. Writing one thing every day that made me happy was an amazing thing to do and I'm so glad I kept up with it. Looking back on those 365 things not only reminded me of what a fantastic year 2012 was but also that I am one lucky girl if I can think of even one thing every single day that put a smile on my face. I know there are others out there who cannot do that and 2012 was definitely a year of blessings.

That being said, I was inspired by Emma to make a little list with descriptions of some new resolutions I've decided on for 2013!

Focus on those who matter and don't bother with acquaintances
I have the classic problem of keeping people around who don't always make me the best person I can be. I think it might be a classic American fake-politeness-bullshit sort of habit that really drives me insane, but I'm really ready to weed out people who really just wear me out. I take pride in the fact that I put 100% into relationships and friendships that truly matter to me, and if I'm not receiving the same thing back then I don't see a point in putting effort in anymore.

Be more independent
I think it might have a lot to do with being so close with my family, but I am a huge baby. There, I said it. I cry like crazy when I leave Germany and while this is normal, naturally, I just have a really hard time accepting the fact that I am twenty years old and really need to just be independent and realize that being away from my family is part of the life I've chosen. Along with this "growing up" bit, it's time to suck it up and get a job. I've been busy enough with school to shy away from a real working responsibility but I'm sick and tired of asking my parents for money and at my age I really should be trying harder to be financially independent, or at least as much as I can be. My short-term goal is to find a job by Valentine's Day! I also worked hard on this last semester, but I need to continue focusing more on school and my own personal health than partying and giving in to my friends when they want me to go out. This doesn't mean completely abstaining, but only participating when I really want to and can afford to.

Spend less time on the internet, only when it's really necessary
Guess this one speaks for itself!

Continue to pursue good mental and physical health
2012 was a bit of a roller coaster in this department - I had a real confidence slump in the summer which led to some very unhealthy habits and a scare at the gym in which I fainted because I didn't eat enough and exercised too intensely. It was terrifying and I definitely learned my lesson, so I want to take much better care of my body and my mind in 2013 and remember that the only person who has a say in how I look is me.

Wear clothes and makeup that I like, not that other people like
This one's a bit tough for me. I had a hard time finding my style after high school and sort of fell into the typical college girl look, but my sister has really inspired me and I've developed a sense of style that I'm really proud of. While some of the things I like might bring strange looks and stares, I know that my opinion is really the only one that matters to me. So I'll rock high waisted jean shorts and bright red lipstick if I want to and remember how good it makes me feel to wear what I like and to stand out!

This has really done it for me, none of these are too groundbreaking but they're personal goals that I'd like to see through. What are your New Years resolutions? Did you stick to last year's? xo

1 comment:

  1. You can do this : ) Last year I wanted to create a new healthy lifestyle which I tried but have not completely succeeded in. I also wanted to save money which I started with since I got a job last November, I'm saving half of my salary every week. Also I wanted to keep things clean and neat, which happened. So I succeeded on 2/3. This year I want to continue trying to create a healthy lifestyle, I want to start running again. I also want to enjoy my life because it is being influenced by lots of things I can't influence myself and I should try to shut those things out.

    ReplyDelete